Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 1: Belarusian culture - Thomas De Saffel


Hello everyone, I am Thomas and I will give you a more detailed view about the culture in Belarus. 

At this moment, the sun is shining and the temperature is moderate. I walked with the others in a busy street in the centre of Minsk. We passed by a lot of restaurants and places where you can eat. An ideal moment to taste the Belarusian cuisine. The Belarusian cuisine consists mainly of vegetables, meat(chiefly pork) and breads. The food is here usually either slowly cooked or stewed. By eating a Belarusian meal, we can compare the Belgian cuisine with the Belarusian cuisine. The meal was very good and very healthy. A random Belarusian talked to me in poor English that it is typical for a Belarusian to have a light breakfast and two hearty meals during the day, with dinner being the largest meal of the day. So, this is very different from our culture. A real must is the draniki, a kind of potato pancake. It’s the national dish of Belarus. The draniki pancakes are shallow-fried pancakes of grated or ground potato, flour and egg, often flavored with grated onion or garlic. It was very delicious and I really enjoyed it to eat this potato pancake. I should suggest to import this stuff to other countries.


In the afternoon, I visited a friend in the city Minsk. We know each other from the night life. He did a typical phenomenon for this area. A Belarusian host present an offering of bread and salt when greeting a guest or visitor to show hospitality. It’s a Slavic tradition to make the guest feel comfortable. He offered me also Kvass, a drink made from fermented malted brown bread or rye flour. It’s a non-alcoholic drink so nothing to worry about! I was very surprised how tolerant and warm the people live here. I think, I will come back to this city in the future. 


I thank you for reading this detailed view and I hope that I raise your interests in the Belarusian kitchen!


Thomas and his fellowship


Sources:








No comments:

Post a Comment